Posted by: Maria | 2009-03-24

Hello. I have had an ultrasound, and the doc says I have got polycystic ovaries. My period had just ended the day before the ultrasound. The cysts (4-5 of them) were on both ovaries. The ovaries were smooth along the edges, no bumps on them. The cysts did not appear to be on the periphery of the ovaries. I do have some slight PCOS symptoms, like barely noticable tiny pimples, and some hair growth - slightly more hair on my upper lip and " sideburns"  than previously. I have noticed a fine hair on my chin too (!). I am 29 years old, and have not had a child yet. I have periods which last 5 - 7 days, with heavy bleeding on the 3 - 4 th day, with clots and lower back pain. My period comes along every 5 - 6 weeks, and is not always on the expected day. Is this enough to conclude that my ovaries are polycystic? What other tests could I ask for?

The diagnosis is made on ultrasound. Without seeing the scan I cannot tell whether your doctor has made the right diagnosis. get a second opinion if you are not sure.