Posted by: Polly | 2008-11-06

Dear Doctor

I am 34 years ol and have been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. My cycles are irregular (35-48days), sometimes even skip a month. I have no insulin resistance.

I would like to know the following:

(1) Does cysts develop because the egg is not released, or vice versa, that no ovulation occurs because of the cysts (as physical obtruction) i.e what causes polycystic ovaries?

(2)How can above cycle be broken... can PCO be cured

(3)If pregnancy is achieved through ovulation induction meds, will the pco still be present post partum?

Dear Polly

Cysts develop because of anovulation, which means that the egg is not released. There is no physical obstruction. However, patients with PCOS tend to have a very thick capsule, which makes it a little more difficult for ovulation to take place. There are no known causes of poly cystic ovaries. However it is a complex metabolic problem. PCO is usually for life and there is no cure at present. The treatment would be, if you were intending to fall pregnant, the use of ovulation induction medication. And yes, the PCOS will still be present in the post partum period.