Question
Posted by: Anne | 2008/09/15

PCOS

I have been diagnosed with PCOS (luckily I don’ t have any cysts), the doctor has me on 500mg of Glucophage (as from the second month it will increase to 1000mg) and Clomid for days 5 –  9. My insulin level is 10.5, which I understand as not being that high (although higher than normal). I don’ t ovulate, don’ t menstruate and it seems that the eggs in the ovaries are very small. The doctor also put me on pills to start menstruating and this works. The doctor says he’ s sure that this will resolve my problem. I would just like to know, although I know there is no definite answer to this, but approximately how long will it take for everything to get back to normal. I’ m so scared I might not be able to have children. Thank you.

Dear Anne

The answer lies in the degree severity of the PCOS and whether there is associated androgen related problems or other hormonal imbalances such as prolactin and thyroid functions. Additional the question of ovarian resistance might pose a problem to the level of ovulation induction and it may sometimes require not only Clomid but also a combination of Clomid and injections to get the desired response from the ovary. In my experience Clomid is only of value in mild cases of polycystic ovary syndrome whereas in moderate to severe cases we have swung exclusively to the used of injectables with great results. The decision usually is based on very careful ultrasound findings as well as the level of hormonal imbalance. The fact that you do not ovulate or menstruate may suggest significant ovarian resistance and perhaps the Clomid treatment may not be sufficient in your case.

Answered by: Dr.M.I.Cassim

1
Posted by: Anne | 2008/09/15

Sorry, forgot to mention, I am not overweight either, seems it could be in my family as my mother and sister struggled to fall pregnant.

Reply to Anne