Question
Posted by: wondering | 2008/06/25

Pcos

I have been diagnosed with pcos, I am on Glucophage 500mg two times a day, My Question is when I lose weight will the cysts go away or will I need a procedure to remove them?

The Glucophage is used to control the metabolic effects, not to remove the cysts. The cysts are tiny, so not able to be removed surgically. We only do ovarian drilling if your periods are erratic and you are trying to conceive.

1
Posted by: LL | 2008/06/25

PCOS cannot go away it can only be maintained healthily.

The cysts wont go away with either weighloss or glucophage. The glucophage is to stabalise / lower your insulin levels. With a lower GI diet you can come to a point where you dont need the medicine.

It made me sick from the start. Im 25, PCOS from age 12 probably. Was only glucophage 500mg 3 times a day.

Some people have ovarian drilling where they drill "through" the cysts but this isnt neccessary if not recommended by your gynae.

The cysts are eggs that weren't released in a watery sack if i say it like that. So they are multiple " bubbles" on your ovaries. If your cycle is irregular they put you on the pill to get it regular, but there is no guarantee it will be regular once off the pill. So from non ovulating it makes it harder to conceive.

Reply to LL