Question
Posted by: Unreal | 2010/11/18

Paxil vs. Prozac vs. Cipramil

Good morning CyberShrink,

Trust that you are well.

I am planning to fall preggies soon. I am currently on Paxil (20mg). I can''t go without it as I get EXTREMELY moody and irritable. I tried to slowly go off it a couple of months ago, but realised that it is not a very good idea.

I heard that Paxil is not ideal during pregnancy, but that Prozac and Cipramil is okay to use.

What is the difference between Paxil and the above mentioned anti-depressants? Which one is the closest to Paxil?

Thank you very much for your advise and time.

You reall need to discuss this in detail with your psychiarist ( and if you are only being treated by a GP, see a psychiatrist for a review of the situation and for this discussion ). He/she needs to carefully take into account, with you, your history of response to various antidepressants, the nature of your illness and symptoms, the alternatives available, and to help you balance the risks of remaining on any such medication and the risks of going off them.

1