Question
Posted by: Mands | 2008/09/19

Paxil &  Alcohol

Hi Doc,

I am currently on Paxil for Panic Disorder and have been on this medication for the past year. I have been good in the sense that I did not drink since having started it. However on Wednesday evening I drank wine, only two glassed and got extremely drunk where I got sick and my head spun out of control and I felt very bad just weak and scared. Yesterday I had all the symptoms of a hangover and felt shaky and just strange, like panic attacks wanted to manifest but they weren’ t. Today I’ m feeling exhausted, almost like I want to collapse, just weak and despite having received a lot of sleep I still feel so exhausted. Would the way that I’ m feeling be due to the mixing of the Paxil and alcohol?

Thank you for your time.

As I keep on reminding people, its best to avoid alcohol so far as possible when Depressed ( as it is a very depressing drug itself ) and especially when taking ADs, as it both reduces their benefits and does indeed make you more drunk than usual for whatever amount you drink. So mixing the Paxil and alcohol is likely to explain all ro most of the suymptoms you describe --- try avoiding alcohol for the months ahead, and you may remain fine