Question
Posted by: Piet | 2010/10/13

Paxil

Hi Doc,

I''''ve been on Paxil 20mg for about 5 months now, i had some side effects in the beginning but they subsided after about 2 weeks. But the last 2 months my sex drive went totally away. Where i thought about sex and where in the mood everyday, now i''''m very rarely in the mood. This is causing problems in my marriage as my wife thinks i''''m having an affair or that i don''''t love her anymore. Can the paxil cause this?

Paxil certainly can cause this. All antidepressants seem to have this effect in SOME o the people who take them, fortunately none of them have this effect in everyone. Do discuss this with your wife, and explain that - and I'm sure your doc should be glad to confirm this this is a very well-recognized side-effect.
If you were switched to a different AD, it might not have this effect on you - but it might also not help your depression as much as the pacil seems to be helping that. Generally, with a real depression, one needs to remain on the AD for around 9 months to reduce the risk of relapse when you stop taking the drug.

1