Question
Posted by: Beryl | 2011/02/12

Pavro Virus

I Have a GSP puppy with Pavro Virus he has been in the hospital for 5 days and still not eating, my question is Is he still contagious when he comes home as his brother is fine and we dont want him catching it? is it safe to bring him home and let him mix with the other dogs
thanks

Yes he will be contagious but don't worry about that as his brother would probably already have been exposed to the virus as it affects the environment ( see previous posts on Cat Flu/ parvo). Just make sure other dogs especially unvaccinated dog DO NOT come and visit

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/17

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/12

Yes, he will be contagious, but even more to the point: he picked it up somewhere, and since the virus doesn''t act instantly, it''s highly likely that the environment will already be ''contaminated'' by him, if not by the original source.

Dogs that have been vaccinated according to recommended criteria should be fully immune. Also, puppies receive a degree of immunity from their mothers. And pups who get the disease and recover, will themselves be immune for some time to come (but not for ever!).

You need to discuss this whole matter with your vet, but I would say you probably won''t be doing any harm bringing him home - though you will of course watch the other pup carefully.

Reply to Chill