Posted by: Ruwaida | 2011-06-06

Patulous Eustatious Tube

Hi, I went to an ENT doctor who diagnosed me with Patulous Eustatious Tube, he said theres no cure for it, he can operate on my nose that is very crooked, but he cant guarantee me that it will help me with PET, I didnt want to take this chance, and I lived with PET for a whole year, but now the problem with my PET is worse and it happens everyday, two weeks ago I consulted another ENT specialist, and because I am pregnant, he cannot really give me medication, but he said that he is dissapointed that the ENT specialists that I consulted first didnt help me a year ago and just diagnosed me with PET, because he cannot see that it is only PET that is my problem, I have chronic sinusitus as well, I am sick almost every month, I get bad couping, and sore throat, and my nose is blocked and running every single day, its seems worse now that I am pregnant, he did give me a saline to clean my nose with and nasal sprays but none of these help, tomorrow i have to see him for a follow up, but my problem is my PET, it is killing me to have to live with an eartube that opens and I get that auphony, I cannot live with it anymore, niether can I live with a blocked and sneezing runny nose, it is taking over my life, please advise or help

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Ruwaida

Your condition as described has no cure, so your first ENT was correct, and being honest about what he/she could offer you in the situation. This is a situation that most likely arose from a nasal problem in the first place, so there is no direct cure for the fact that your eustachian tube seems to open and close improperly. This is a frustrating condition, for the patient, as well as the treating ENT, as no obvious cure exists. It is possible that certain problems in the nose, like chronic rhino sinusitis (CRS), may contribute, and this should most definitely be treated.
Your pregnancy is playing a major role in your situation, leaving you with the problem that things are likely to stay this way for the duration of your pregnancy. You shouid be treated conservatively, and any medication must be discussed with your gynaecologist. After your pregnancy you should wait at least 6 weeks before any decisions regarding surgery is made, as the pregnancy related hormones take that long to normalise in the mother.

Posted by: Narusha | 2011-07-12

I also have a patulous eustachian, which i have been suffering with since childhood. I had grommets inserted in 2006 and they helped for a few years but then the problem arose again. I had a grommet inserted in my left year about a month ago and this seems to have made the problem worse as i now have autophony almost constantly. My ENT said that it should settle but i am losing hope. What treatment options, if any, are there available in South Africa?

Reply to Narusha