Question
Posted by: Dee | 2008/07/24

pathological liar

I' ve just realized I' m a pathological liar. I do it all the time &  to anyone. I lie about small things, never big things. Like the other day, I accidentily erased a photo on my husbands camera &  told him it was one of the kids. The thing is the kids know not to play with his things, &  he was addiment its me, so I admitted it was me.

He told me how can he trust me if I lie about everything. I would never cheat or steal but I just cannot stop lying. This is begining to impact my marriage. Pleeeeease Doc can you give me some advice.

Well, I can't give you any magic colution to this problem ( and that's the truth ! ) YOu'd need to see a personal counsellor to work on this problem, and the fact that you have recognized it is an important step forward. Maybe you lie more about little things so as to look good, or to avoid looking bad, to avoid conflict, etc., rather than just to be untrutthgul. Maybe a low self-esteem ? All things a counsellor, especially of the CBT type, can deal with well.

2
Posted by: Thandi | 2008/07/24

My b/f is also a liar but in his case he denies he is lying. He lies about anything &  everything &  we just don' t believe anything he says anymore, even when he' s telling the truth. I could catch him on video to prove his lying about something and he will still deny it. He has a huge problem.

Reply to Thandi
Posted by: A " NONNIE"  | 2008/07/24

My sister' s boyfriend is like that to. She' s even told him that she knows he' s lying again and then he say' s that he know' s she knows he' s lying but he can' t help it.

You are a better person for seeking help. He thinks he' s above it.

Good on you.

Reply to A &quot NONNIE&quot