Question
Posted by: Sara | 2012-05-16

Patella Alta

I went to see a specialist for my knee as I started to experience pain while running. He did a MRI and advised that I had Patella Alta and I needed to stop running....

I enjoy running and really dont want to give it up... The specialist said my knee would eventually ''break'' if I kept running and I would need an operation. I requested to have the operation now and he advised against it saying that it is not necessary now.

Please advise if there is anyway around this, as I really want to keep running.

Sara

This is a very rare condition and unfortunately, there is no way around it. The stress from jogging, will cause a fraction and further complications. If you want to exercise, you can start swimming. This will place no stress on the abnormal patella and will be a good alternative. I suggest that you reconsult the specialist to determine what alternative treatment is available, in order for you to be active without running the risk of a fracture.