Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2012/04/18

Pasta

Please can you clear this up for me .

I have read that one should eat whole wheat pasta, but i have also read that one should eat durum wheat pasta , i used to assume this was the same thing , until i read ingrediants for normal pasta and the first ingrediant is durum wheat.

Price wise normal pasta is cheaper .

Whats is the Gi difference between the two pastas?
Also please tell me where 2 min noodles sits on the Gi as well

Dear Stacey
According to the SA Glycemic Index & Load Guide, cooked Durum pasta has a low GI of 40. No value is listed for wholewheat pasta, but cooked, homemade pasta made with wheat/cake flour has a high GI of 70. Two Minute Noodles are listed with a high GI of 70.
It is important not to confuse wholewheat products with low-GI products. Wholewheat bread for example, has the same high GI as white bread, namely approx. 70. On the other hand, most of the low-GI breads with added soy protein and seeds, have a low GI of about 55. We eat wholewheat products for their high dietary fibre and their vitamin B contents, to ensure regularity and a healthy nervous system and efficient metabolism. And we eat low-GI foods to ensure that our blood glucose and insulin levels remain steady and as low as possible.

1

Dear Stacey