Question
Posted by: Jan | 2009/12/01

Pasta

Good afternoon,

I would please like to know... Is pasta good or bad for you? I eat pasta every day for lunch. It is a bowl of pasta with mixed veggies with either half a tin (small) tuna or one skinless chicken breast. I also then add either low fat mayonaise or cottage cheese.

I do go to gym 4 - 7 times a week. I do weight training and a bit of cardio.

Wil the pasta make me fat? Or will it work nicely with my training programme?

Thanks.

Dear Jan
Pasta is a carbohydrates and because carbs are the best source of readily available fuel for physical exercise, pasta is a favourite food for athletes (Tour de France, iron man, etc). So for a person who is doing plenty of gym up to 7 times a week, pasta is an excellent food. If you add all kinds of rich and fatty sauces to the pasta then it may become fattening (carbs provide only 16 kJ per gram, while fat provides 37 kJ per gram). You are obviously not adding fatty sauces and foods to your pasta, so one could regard your lunch as ideal for a hard working athlete. If you use pasta made from Durum wheat, the pasta also has a low glycaemic index (GI), which has an even more positive effect on blood sugar levels and weightloss.
Enjoy

1

Dear Jan
Enjoy