Question
Posted by: Hestia | 2010-11-29

Past?

Good day Prof. Thank you first for the times you assisted me with advice. I am experiencing a problem. I am currently busy with Orthodontic treatment. The problem I am facing is that I really stragle when people need to get up close. My heart race and it feels like I want to jump up and run away crying and shouting. I even need to remind myself to breath. The problem is that even the dr realise that I am getting tense and will say that I need to relax. It is not that easy. It makes me more and more aware of it and almost at a lost. the same happen when I go to the dentist, at least that is just twice a year and not every 4 weeks as per the treatment with the orthodontic treatment.

I do not think that is the medical industry only. I don''t like people getting that close to me. Maybe that will be why I am not in any relationship? I can not stand someone getting close. Is these tipes of feelings normally triggered from past experiences or just part of your caracter. I can not recall that anything happened to make me react this way. Except that I was raised in a very strict family and we did not really receive hugs,and kisses.

I am already starting to get tensed up and my next appointment is 4 weeks away. can''t continue like this every few weeks for the next 23 months untill my treatment is finished.

I want someone to assist me in getting this sorted out however I am scared of getting all nervouis then too. what to do? It is like a snowball effect. Currently I am barely scrapping through by concentrating very hard to continue breathing when I am in situations that is upsetting to me.

Hi Hestia,
Let's see. Yes, when people tell you you need to relax, they're usually right - but you didn't choose NOT to be relaxed, so its not so easy to just switch it off. But in fact one can learn to do exactly that. And you're right about the snowball effect - we get frightened in such a situation - then we start feeling frightened that we might start to feel frightened, and so on.
Though this is obviously a problem when at the dentist, it sounds, from your comments, as though there are a number of other situations in which you feel very nervous, too.
What would help most, and it need not take very long, is to arrange urgently to see a good local shrink who practices CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) and the Anxiety/Depression Support group can help you find one.
It can help you both to learn to de-fuse the potential for disturbing you of the various situations that currently trigger this response, and to learn to relax deliberately when you choose to do so.
Explain when calling for an appointment, that you would really appreciate it if you could be seen fairly urgently, because you are due in a month to start some intricate dental surgery and need to be able to face it calmly and get i over with.

1

Hi Hestia,