Posted by: Nikki | 2011-10-05

Pasrin + Fluaxotine

Hi Doc,
I have been on Fluaxotine for almost 2 years (40mg / day) I have now been given PASRIN (10mg / day) Is it safe to use both these meds at the same time?

The two drugs can be taken together but your doctor will have to monitor you closely, as a condition called acute serotonin syndrome can occur. Symptoms of the serotonin syndrome may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucination, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, rigidity, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Posted by: Nikki | 2011-10-07

Hi again Doc,
Thanks for your is scary how easily one can poison yourself!!!! Why can the doctor that gave both proscriptions realize the danger and warn you.!.!.!!!
Please keep up the good work

Reply to Nikki