Posted by: Delectable | 2011-12-21

Partner with Kids

I''m in a relationship for two months. I don''t have kids but my partner does - 2. An 11yr old girl and a 2yr boy. Last night they all came to spend the night and even though the helper was around, I found that we spent most of the quality time worrying about what the little boy was grabbing and misplacing in the house.

How do I adjust to this family lifestyle after being single and independent? Not only do I need to embrace the kids but I also need to know where to draw the line without stepping on anyone''s toes. I''m an organised person and believe in putting plans in place in everything I do. I would like the nanny to have a daily schedule of what to do for the kids, which should include sleeping times, eating times, tv times etc and I also would like for my partner not to leave the responsibilities to the nanny when she gets home. Educating the kids is critical to me. There should be bedtime story reading, bathing kids etc. I feel that when all this is in place, we will have less worries around tip-toeing around the house, more so should we plan to move in together someday.

Please advise and thank you.

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

It is early on in your relationship to make this call, but if you are going to involve yourself with someone who has children you have to realize that your life will change to suit them. Yes, it is imperative that you discuss your concerns with your partner regarding the nanny and boundaries within your house. However there are certain issues that are not the nannies responsibility and fall directly on the shoulders of the parent. If you enter into this relationship you are becoming a surrogate parent and these responsibilities become your domain.

Posted by: Romany | 2012-01-17

In my opinion, no women that has not had her own children, are qualified to raise someone else''s kids.
She also should not have to

Reply to Romany