Partner not interested in sex

Hi Doc,

I have a very unusual sex life. I love sex, yet my partner doesnt. I find this rather weird as men are usually the ones with the high sex drive than women. I' ve tried on numerous occassions to initiate &  he just doesn' t want to have sex. What can I do in this situation. I' ve tried speaking to him about it, and he says he has a lot on his mind, now this has been going on for almost over a yr now, and its really frustrating, as I always have to curb my sex drive &  wait for the day he eventually feels like it which can be well over 3 months.

Dear Anonymous,

The belief that men are usually the one's with the higher sex drives is a myth. It is not at all uncommon to find a woman with a higher sex drive than her male partner. In all relationships you most often find one partner with a higher sex drive than the other. It is fairly rarte to find two people in a relationship with exactly equal sexual appetites.

It is well known that factors such as stress, anxiety, depression etc impact on men's sex drives. I would suggest that you and your husband consult a couples therapist who also specialises in sex therapy to explore what is possibly impacting your husband's sex drive and assist you as a couple work towards a sexual relationship that is mutually satisfying.

Perhaps, you should take your husband away for a weekend getaway, to some place where there is no cell phone signals and no electricity, then you would have all his attention and be able to show him what he has been missing out on.

Good Luck

Posted by: Eish | 2009-05-12

My wife is the same and i' m also thinking of getting it else where. This sit and hope for the best isnt working out for me. You go to bed and hope you get lucky:(

Reply to Eish
Posted by: CV | 2009-05-11

I know exactly how you feel. I am in the same boat, only difference is it is my wife who dont want it. We have been married for 22 years now and I am now at a stage where I am thinking of looking for it somewhere else as I can not take this " FRUSTRATION"  anymore. I always, since our wedding hoped it would change at some stage, but now realised, I am waiting for nothing.

Reply to CV