Posted by: Lee-Anne | 2011-11-23

I would like to know how do you know that your partner has a manipulative personality? I''ve been in a relationship for a year now. I''m not sure if Im ready to marry this guy due to the fact that I feel like a prisoner in my own house. I''ve started mountainbiking and love it and he has a problem with me training as much as I do. He is also very very jealous. I know I will never marry this man because he is fairly moody. Everytime I tell him that Im not happy and that the relationship wont work he convinces me that he can change. He also told me that Im very selfish and self centered and that I need to find some help. What do I do. How do you get the point accross to such a person?

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

Hi Lee Anne.
You know by trusting your instincts - do you feel manipulated? I can tell you from years of experience that your partner will not change. Jealousy issues get worse and more entrenched, not easier. You cannot give up your freedom for anyone and expect not to resent them in the long run. My advice is to get out as soon as you can before you feel completely trapped and subject to more emotional abuse. If you do decide to give it one last try, give your partner an ultimatum. He goes for professional help starting immediately and if things do not improve within three months walk away.