Question
Posted by: Rose | 2010/05/24

Partial Uterine Septum

Your reply has me very worried. Is there anything my daughter can do to help prevent a miscarriage. Would bed rest help. She has always been very active to the extent that she did the Cape Argus mountain bike race last year. She is doing some exercise now (fast walking and stationery bicycle) at ten weeks and is of the opinion that if she can get the first trimester safely over then she can increase her levels of exercise. Is the exercise going to make a miscarriage more likely. Please, have you any suggstions for a safe pregnancy or is it a case of if there are going to be problems nothing can prevent those problems. Thank you.

Other than a stitch if the cervix is short, there isn't much that can be done to pevent a miscarriage. I don't think that she should do more than walking and stationary cycling though. More strenuous exercise is not a good idea even in pregnancies which are not high risk.

1