Question
Posted by: Rose | 2010/05/21

Partial Uterine Septum

Thank you for your earlier reply. If it were to be a miscarriage would this most likely be in the first trimester? My daughter started her pregnancy with twins but one was a blight ovum which I think may have embedded into the septum. At what satge can a baby be born without any complications. I know this woudl have to be an approximae figure. She has been trying to fall pregnant for a long time and after all the ivf treatments she would be devastated to lose this baby. The IVF specialist knew about the septum before he did the treatments but said he was unwilling to remove it as the resulting scar tissue could cause even more problems. Is there anything that can be done to pre-empt a miscarriage. I have heard of a stitch in the cervix? Thank you.

Miscarriages from uterine abnormalities usually happen in the second trimester. 26-28 weeks is the earliest that babies can be born to have a reasonable chance. A stitch is inserted if the cervix is found to be incompetent. This can be checked for with ultrasound.

1