Question
Posted by: Rose | 2010-05-19

Partial Uterine Septum

My daughter (31) has eventually fallen pregnant after ivf treatment and is now nine weeks pregnant. Her fertility specialist said that apart from all her other problems, she has a small uterine septum and that this will result in her having the baby early. Can you give me any idea how early it could be. She seems to remember that he said 30 or 32 weeks but that seems excessively early to me.

There is no way of telling. It could be anything from a miscarriage to a preterm ddelivery to no complication at all.

2
Posted by: Rose | 2010-05-21

Thank you. If it were to be a miscarriage would this most likely be in the first trimester or could it be at any time? She started with twins but one was a blighted ovum - I think maybe it tried embedding into the septum. At what stage in the pregnancy can a baby safely be born without complications. I know it is not possible to be definite but I would appreciate a +-. My daughter has been trying to fall pregant for a long time and after all the ivf treatments she would be devastated to lose this baby. The IVF specialist knew about the septum before he did the treatments but said he was not willing to remove it as the resulting scar tissue would cause even more problems.Is there anything that can be done to pre-empt a miscarriage. I have heard about a stitch in the cervix? Thank you

Reply to Rose
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-05-21