Posted by: Rose | 2010-05-28

My daughter (31) is 10 weeks pregnant after her 2nd IVF attempt. Before this cycle her fertility specialist told her that she has a small septum but that he did not want to remove it as the resulting scar tissue could cause more problems with falling pregnant. I have now heard that she is at risk of a second trimester miscarriage. Was her right to leave the septum or should it have been removed before this IVF attempt?

Dear Rose

I think was a very wise decision by your daughter’s fertility specialist not to remove a uterine septum that is small. There is no doubt that scar formation occurs after removal of uterine septum and because the septum is small in her particular case I think she would have a good chance to carry the pregnancy to full term. The most critical period for miscarriages is the first trimester and the fact that your daughter has almost reached that stage she should however continue reasonable successfully in this pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo