Question
Posted by: TAZZ | 2010-11-26

partenity tests

HI doc

i have a 3months old daughter with my boyfriend of 5yrs. I confronted him abut not being too involved with the baby and he told me that he wants to do the test he is not certain that the baby is his, I really do not know whre is that tcoming from cause I never gave him the reasons to doubt me but there is nothing i can do about it, I agreed to do the test for the sake of my baby because i want them to have a relationship even if me and him are not going the distance im doing it for my child, I m not happy abut it but yah so is life. I want us to do the test and get over and done with this. Can you please advise where can we do this test in joburg at a reasonable prize. Your response will be highly appreciated

Good responses all round. Any such tests can be don by any good path service. Having blood taken need not be very sore for a child, if the sample is taken by someone who is skilled and experienced at taking blood FROM INFANTS.
Of course the father will have to pay the full costs, as it is him who has the coubts. OTherwise you could approach the Maintenance Court, and it could be up to him to prove that this is NOT his child.

5
Posted by: Tazz | 2010-11-30

Thank you everybody, much appreciated. He will definately pay for the test its just unfortunate for my baby. Thanks once again

Reply to Tazz

Posted by: Lisa | 2010-11-26

The Blood Bank does them...I had a similar problem where the father said the child wasn''t his. If the father wants it done he has to pay for it, 12 years ago it was about R2000 so if he wants to waste money like that he can. Otherwise just carry on suing him for maintenance.

The baby can only have a test done i think at 4 months old, it''s extremely painful for the baby and i honestly wouldn''t advise it. If i knew it was so sore i would never had agreed...but then again i would have not received maintenance

Reply to Lisa
Posted by: Linus | 2010-11-26

You need a pathologist that can do the genetical testing - ask your doctor to refer you to one.

Reply to Linus
Posted by: sensible | 2010-11-26

Speak to a lawyer, he can then handle the maintenance issue once paternity is established - do this asap

Reply to sensible