Posted by: Astro | 2008-10-29

parrot feather growth

I would like to know how long it should take for a parrots wing feathers to grow back. My african grey has one wing bigger than the other cause the top (longest feathers) keep falling out or breaking (they dont seem to be growing much) We are rather concerned he may have hurt his wing and caused some damage as it has been 10 months now.
I took him to a vet, who couldnt find anything wrong with the wing.

His behaviour has also changed, he wont let anyone pick him up and growls when your hand gets to near, even the other bird getting on his cage irritates him. I have been told it takes time, But I didnt expect it would take 10 months.....

Dear Astro

I have the same suggestion as the other two replies. find a good avian vet in your area.

Posted by: Carol | 2008-10-29

It sounds as tho a feather has broken and the shaft is in his skin that is going to cause him pain and aggravation.

Towel him and have a look on the skin where the feather broke , if you see a shaft get a pair of strong tweezers and gently pull it out in the direction of the feather growth.

Its sounds dreadful , but it is something that all of us who keep parrots have to do sometime :)

If his feathers are falling out a lot it could be a nutritional defiency . What are you feeding him ? Most people only give sunflower seeds and thats the beginning of a lot of problems.

A check at an avian vet sounds like a good idea.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Yo | 2008-10-29

Hi there I am not sure what the problem is but I have a sudgestion. go to Brett Russel at Bryanston vet he is exceptional with parrots he will know exacly what to do.

Also I am a volunteer at Lory Park Zoo in Midrand and I handle parrots our senior volunteer knows everything there is to know about parrots if you can make it if you are in joburg area her name is Cheryl and she is there usually during the week and on saturdays ask her. (or matty)

Kind regards,

Reply to Yo