Question
Posted by: Parrot guy | 2010-09-12

Parrot cat flu?

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone can assist me in finding out if a parrot can get cat flu from a dog? We had a dog that was diagnosed with cat flu and she left us today. I am very concerned about the other puppy (4 months with all vaccinations)we have and the parrot(African Grey about 6 years old). I was wondering if someone can tell me if it is possible. I have read from a very unreliable source that it has been documented. But YEAH!!!... And also, will humans remain untouched in all cases of cat flu? Please reply and let me know. Thank you dearly. Parrot guy.

Hi Parot Guy

Dogs can not get cat flu. The condition is called canine parvo-virus and the disease is not contracted from cats.

Parrots cannot get canine parvo.

Yourpuppy will get exposure to the parvo virus if it is sharing the same environment as your other dog. You need to treat the dog's environment with a viral disinfectant. Note that vaccinations does not prevent your puppy from contracting the virus - it enables the body to recognise the pqthogen so that it can fight infection. Your pup if it does get viral exposure may develop mild clinical sign's of parvo.

If you have any problems please seekadvise from your vet

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-13

Hi Parot Guy

Parrots cannot get canine parvo.

Reply to CyberVet