Question
Posted by: utsnobi | 2008/08/27

parotid gland swelling

I have parotid gland swollen on both sides, and some swelling under my jaw as well, I had mumps recently but it was all cleard about three weeks ago. now I took another test again for mumps and it came negative (saying that I have antibodies from previous mumps), but i also took test for Epsteinbar virus which also was negative. can you suggest what I should do now, if there are additional test i should do for some certain virus? i don' t feel week but have a little muscle pain, is it possible that i do have EBV but the test didn' t show it yet as it is in the early stage? Is it possible that mumps was not totally finished and now it is showing up again, because the symptoms I have now is very similar to when I had mumps.

Dear Utsnobi
Other viruses can also attack the parotid glands like mumps, and bacteria can also cause swelling. Your doctor can do a CRP and white cell count to give him an idea if this is viral or bacterial, if bacterial taking a course of antibiotics may help.