Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2009-05-12

Parkinsons Disease.

Hi, I would like to know if there is an early warning test for parkinsons. The onset of symptoms is so gradual that you might discount them as muscular twitches. The reason I would like to know is: My grandfather (mother' s side) had it. His sister (mothers aunt) has it. My aunt (Mother' s sister) has it. I can not offer medical history on my mother as she died in her early forties. I seem to have an overwhelming occurance of it on one side of my family, and am not at all convinced about online info which points to it not being a genetic problem. Thanks, Sarah

Hallo Sarah
No, there aren't tests for Parkinsons, it is diagnosis made on clinical examination
See http://www.umm.edu/parkinsons/diagnosis.htm
One would anyway delay treating it until it is really influencing your day to day life, as most people develop a kind of resistance against the drugs eventually.