Question
Posted by: Mel | 2010/05/26

Parkinson &  Prostate problem!

Good morning Doc,

The problem I have is family orientated  my father in law has been diagnosed with Parkinson’ s about 2 years ago, but before that he had his prostate removed and that caused him to lose his bladder control, so he has to wear the condom catheter permanently. But now with the Parkinson’ s he is confused most of the time, and hallucinates and he end up pulling it all out making a mess of himself and the house. Now my mother in law and father in law have not had the best of relationships prior to him getting sick, and this has definitely not improved that situation. She has decided she had enough and wants to put him in a home for the elderly since she has some health issues too and cannot cope with him. The children do not like the idea but what else can she do, he sometimes has no control over his bowel either. My question is, is there any alternative medicine that can be used to help to be less confused and more alert?

Hallo Mel
You did not mention the medication that he is using at the moment for the Parkinsons, so I can't really answer that part of the question, but he may need to see his neurologist to see if they can add medication to reduce his confusion or increase his current medication dosage. The PD patients tend to get tolerance of medication and then higher dosages may be needed. Unfortunately these patients usually end up in frail care homes because it is physically very taxing to look after an elderly Parkinson's patient and although one would like to keep them at home for as long as possible, this may be the most logical option for your mother in law to consider especially if she is not healthy herself.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/05/26

Hallo Mel