Question
Posted by: Claire | 2009-11-09

Parents

My father left my mom 12 years ago and has since then been living with his girlfriend. He did not want to divorce my mom as they are married in COP. they have been married for 37 years.
My mother only has a standard 8 and was a house wife all her life. My dad pays her a small amount to live on every month and her rent.
My mom wants a divorce and wants to move on with her life. My father earns almost R100 000 per month but has put everything in his girlfriends name. So when my mom went to a lawyer about a year back, my father claimed he had nothing. He lives in his girlfriends house but she pays the bond.
What are my mothers rights? She wants to divorce him but we are so scared that because my father has hidden everything that she will be even worse off. My dads lawyer says my mom must find a job but how can she with a std 8 and she is 60 years old. Do you know of any good divorce lawyers who would work on a settlement value? My mother does not have hundreds of thousands available to pay a lawyer.

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Hi Claire,

pls contact me for a legal referral.

info@sadsa.net