Posted by: Staying positive | 2009-08-24

My parents are the most negative people on this planet. They will worry about almost anything and everything. If something is of no relevance to them they will worry and argue about it. Nothing ever makes them happy. If there is nothing wrong they will find something to argue about. They will always asume something about someone or something and make it into an arguement. It is like they are one-sided. Not one single day goes by where they do not argue about something.

Is this what happens with old age. I really think they can' t stand each other.

It has effected my self-esteem as well as my siblings.

I am grateful for the things they provide but it' s just their mindset they have about EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! There is always a problem. It does not matter what it is!!!!!!!!!!!! They make life so difficult sometimes. It' s as though they are one-sided about everything. They hardly ever consider the options about something.

If there are opportunities available they will point out all the bad in it. Yes I' m an adult now but it' s their thoughts on how they respond. It' s not often I have received great advice from them.

Some people do indeed seem to be habitually negative. Typical examples of the CBT model of Depression, except that they seem to almost enjoy not enjoying life. Nothing makes them happy --- except being unhappy, and bad things happening confirm their suspicions, while good things happening are explained away. People who notice the good things in life used to be called "looking at the worlf through rose-coloured glasses" --- these guys seem to have deep grey glasses. <br>This is a lifelong habit, and NOT a natural consequence of aging. You are wise to notice this sad mindset, and to avoid following their examples. They probably see themselves as having protected you by pointing out the negative consequences that are always POSSIBLE, without recognizing that by ignoring the good probabilities, they could have stunted your development, instead.