Question
Posted by: Raini | 2010/10/16

Parental Guidance

I didnt grow up in a loving home, since my first memories there were holes in the walls,fighting,swearing...my dad moved away to another province,,leaving my older sister n i to live with a mother who drowns her sorrows in a bottle of whiskey, and verbally abuse us...i''m 25 now and im still a broken person,,i find it hard to form close relationships with people,im always scared that they might end up leaving. my friends who''v had a happy healthy family life r so different, confident, outspoken. I never had that solid foundation and when they talk about family holidays, i feel like i can rip out my heart,then i''d have reason to feel so dead inside...

It's surely really tough to get through such a touch and dificult childhood, without some wounds and scars. And she has perhaps left you with a set of assumptions and cautions and habits by which you try to protect yourself from further hurt, which can themselves actually hurt you, and may protect you from some of the love and caring you want and deserve.
Counselling / therapy, especially of the CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) format, can grteeatly help to heal these problems. And you might also find working in a mutual support group ( explore the Anxiety/Depression Support Groups ( number on this page ) could help, too.

1