Posted by: Liz | 2009-05-20

Paranoid parent

My son is 6 turning 7 in January 2010. He is in Grade R in school. Yesterday I received an invitation to one of the girl'  s in his class'  birthday party. He is obviously very excited about going. I don'  t know the little girl or her family and I really want him to go, but then again - in this day and age, should I? His dad says no he should not go but it is up to me. The party is quite close to where we live - in the same area. Am I being paranoid worrying about nothing or should I rather say no until he is a little older. Rather save than sorry! Don'  t know what to do!

This is more a question of etiquette than psychiatriy, so I'm sure other readers will be able to respond usefully. I'm not at all sure what you're worried about ; I very much doubt that an orgy is being planned. At well below that age I attended birthday's of other kids, without experiencing any damage. What, specifially are you worried about ? Why not phone or contact the mother involved, maybe offer to help with some aspect of the party if she needs any help, and set your mind at rest ?

Take you son to the party and you will probably find other moms there who you will get to know. Parents nowdays cater for both the kids coming to the party and the parents who come with!

Posted by: C | 2009-05-20

I also cannot understand why it is a problem to let your son attend the party. You don' t have to leave him there all alone. You can stay and enjoy the party with him. This way you will also get to know most of the mothers. Most mothers do not leave their kids alone at parties until they are at least 8 years old and if they know the parents of the other child. Children loves socialising and this will give him an opportunity to make new friends.

Reply to C
Posted by: lady nina | 2009-05-20

hi there

it' s always good to meet new people and specially the parents of your childs friends, go with your child.

if your child will stay in the same school for a while - the soonest you get to know the friends your kids mixes with the better if will be when he gets older

Reply to lady nina