Question
Posted by: Marie | 2011/07/05

Paranoid boss

I am in a career where a lot of networking is required. This often takes place at the supplier offices as a workshop or seminar or conference. My boss does not want to let me out of the office to attend these functions. He is convinced I (or whoever needs to go out of the office) is going for an interview.

All the info gathered goes back into his company but he does not see it this way - he does not even allow us to go to a doctor''s appointment without bringing a doctor''s note - even if you are back within the hour.

What do I do - how do I handle this?

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophesy ! Clearly he has no confidence in himself and his own ability to attract and keep staff, and the foolish way he is reacting to this, is increasing the chances that his beliefs will prove true. If someone really wants and needs to go to an interview, it's not difficult for them to find a way to do so, so he cannot prevent that. But by being petty and mean-spirited, and interfering in your abilities to do your job properly, he is training people to be sensibly resentful and sneaky.
Such an insecure and incompetent boss is unlikely to run a company that will remain successful or even viable ( or even open ) - start looking for alternative jobs, whatever way works.

2
Posted by: Marie | 2011/07/05

Thank you for your expert view and the advice - much appreciated.

Reply to Marie