Question
Posted by: me | 2009/06/12

Paranoid after robbery

My handbag was stolen the other day with all my personal details such as id and drivers that were in my wallet. This happened at a friends house during the evening. It is horrible to know that whoever it was came so close to us. I am thankful that they didn' t try harm any of us. No one saw a thing but this whole incident has made me so so ANGRY. My privacy has been invade because they now know where I live as they can see this in my id book. I have learnt my lesson to never carry these things around with me eve again but I have become so paranoid lately. I know it was just a petty crime but still this leave me with a lot of anger. I have never been robbed before and never mind what a mission is so stand for 5 hours at home affairs and the traffic department. They are so useless. I have changed locks on the gate and the door. It' s such a pity to know we have thieves like this. I am put of helping beggars on the street cos I felt sorry for them. Never again will I do this. I think homeless animals are worth more than them. Thankful that no harm was done considering all the terrible things a person can do just to get away with a cellphone.

I am still so paranoid that I am being watched by these people. I' m an easy target.

It must be hard to work out what actually happened. IF everyone there that evening was a friend, then presumably a friend stole the handbag, but then, probably for the possible money rather than with any interest i housebreaking, etc. They probably already knew where you live, and could have found out by simply asking mutual friends.
Having had many similar experiences, I understand your reactions. Having been perhaps too trusting before, one feels reluctant to trust even the trustworthy. Having felt perhaps a bit safer than was realistic, you now feeel even less safe than is actually the case. Often such reacions are severe only for the firs week or two, but if this persists, seeing a counsellor ton help you to get things back into proportion may be hekpful

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/12

Uhm yes I think I did state they criminals can do far more harm than what they did already. I don' t even care about the handbag anymore.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/12

You do realise that more serious crime can happen to you without any of your personal belongings being stolen. Criminals dont need your handbag to hurt you.