Question
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-10-05

Paranoid

I' m so tired of being paranoid although I don' t want to tell my dr. about it as he might just want to put my meds up and I really really don' t want that. I feel like I want to meet new people and if I do I get scared off them as I don' t know them and then the thoughts start like what if they want to harm me or even now they have access to my children and it was really a bad choice to get me in such a situation and I' m so stupid ..... Either way I sometimes feel like I just want to be indipendant and then start to imagine doing something without my husbands help and then I start thinking of all the bad things mean people can do to me in the process and then I think rather have hubby protect me while he is around. But whats going to happen if he ain' t anymore? I hate being so scared of people as it feels as if most people seems to want to hurt me.... Would it pass by it self in due time?

Hello again, Zexeon,
One of the things often not mentioned but surely true, is how very tiring it is to be paranoid. But don't hesitate to discus this with your doc, and also discuss your concern that you don't want to put your current meds up. Maybe some diferent changes in the meds could help. I suspect that CBT style counselling could also help one keep paranoia under better control, but I haven't seen good studies confirming this, yet. As you recognize, such feelings can become very convincing and worrying, but are usually unrealsitc. Most of the people you get to meet and know don't and would not want to harm you, indeed remarkably many don't care much about any of us, to help or to harm us. Your husband, your doc, and others will indeed want to help to protect you, and to help you both to feel safer and more able to protect yourself, too.
I know that you are not stupid, and that you are no more of a target than any of us.
It's important, as you suggest in your message, to distinguish between being paranoid ( when one's suspicions are either without any reasonable basis or even with none at all, or arfe exaggerated out of proportion ) and being realistically cautious in a world that is dangerous at times ; to take sensible precautions, but not excessive, which can lead to the precautions becoming more of a problem than what they're supposed to be protecting us against.

1
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-10-05

Maybe its like being afraid of doggs it keeps me safe not noing what to expect from people they can' t cought me that much off gaurd. And my husband can protect us and if he dies I could invest in a gun for selfdefence but seing that he owns a security installations company I couldn' t have made a better choice (and he has black belt) either way he says I won' t be satisfied till our house looks like a fort nocks and even then I could think of a few new gagets that could upper our safety. Maybe I' m not paranoid just very precauteous and that good ... :-)

Reply to Zexeon