Posted by: Momee to be | 2009-02-17

Hi, plase help. I dont know if i am paranoid, but i realise that my baby can move inside me - (i am 15weeks pregnant). So , how would i iknow if the ambilical cord has gone around the baby' s neck? I know there are dangers of that, but how would a person know?? Would something feel different or not? I am just scared it happens and then i dont even know about it. Please help me i need ANY advice. Thank you

Dear Momee to be
There are plenty of space for the baby to move around in the womb, so this is not something to be overly concerned with early in pregnancy . The danger is in the birthing process when the baby moves down and the cord is still attached to the placenta in the womb - then it can tighten around the baby's neck if it is twisted around the neck. But these days most mothers get a sonar late in pregnancy and the doctor is then aware of where the cord is, and can take precautionary action. We also always feel for the cord around the neck during a delivery and cut it early if needed.