Question
Posted by: CP MOM | 2008/09/10

PARALYMPICS

Watching the paralympics last night nearly broke my heart… ..to see how they fall and trip and and and

They all try so damn hard!

Adult CP sms’ d me and we chatted and I sometimes think that the “ able”  bodies people are more disabled than the disabled… ..

As I said to Adult CP she often say' s her legs are not steady or I complain about NE bumping things or falling over things but there are people WHO DONT HAVE ALL THERE LEGS AND ARMS AND AND...and look how they are coping!

Have you seen the basket ball team and how they move? Nearly fall out their chairs they play so hard. It' s amazing!

CS, Nè  loves her bike and to be active –  although not always to steady on her feet- im thinking maybe I should start training her for the 2012 paralympics? Shotput? Bike?
Hee hee it’ s a thought!

She’ s always so happy and can go on and on when she achieves anything so maybe it’ s not to far fetched???

Love Mom

I found the Olympics this year a dead loss --- every time I tried to watch, it was women's soccer, or handball. But the Paralympics is different --- look at how much our team has achieved, compared with the appallingly dismal failures of the ordinary Olympics team. Hats off to them --- the spoiled and over-publicised folks on the main Olympics team disgraced us ( and their administrators seem to have been even more hapless ) ; but the under-funded, under-publicised, under-appreciated Paralympics team has given us so much to be proud of. Hats off to them !
And indeed, why not consider Ne for one of the Paralympics coming up --- find out how its organizaed in this country, and what training and assessment is available.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2008/09/10

I have a young friend who plays wheelchair basketball. I almost had a heart attack the first time I saw them playing, they really go all out and those chairs fall over backwards quite easily. I' ve also goine with her to a athletics meeting. It makes one feel humble when you see how much people can achieve in spite of having less to work with.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: case | 2008/09/10

I agree with you about the paralimpics. As you said it is amazing what they achieve. I also watch the paralimpics. They participate with so much ehtuisiam that I absolutely salute them for what they accomplish, ecspecially with the obstacles that they overcome. Just to see them participate says to me that we should really be thankful for what we have.

I think you should give Nè  a chance to participate. It just may change her world forever for the better.

Good luck.

Reply to case