Question
Posted by: Maria | 2009-02-18

Paracetamol for Dogs

Hi there,

Is it ok to give dogs paediatric fever medication, such as Ponstan or Ibumol?
My Jack Russel was running a very high fever and all I had at home was Ponstan suppositories. This was over a weekend and the vet only opened in the morning. I didn' t give her anything but would it have been ok to give her the Ponstan?

Dear Maria
It is impossible for you to know when a dog is running a fever unless you have a rectal thermometer. Best to use dog-specific drugs as they are safer and work better.

3

i dont know about paracetamol but PONSTAN is mefenamic acid and it is also a vet medication, (5-20mg/kg every 12 hours)

Posted by: Chill | 2009-02-19

' Best to use dog-specific drugs as they are safer and work better'  - that seems quite clear.

Paracetamol is generally not considered safe for dogs. Dosages are difficult to calculate anyway because of the vast differences in weight between people and dogs, and between dogs and dogs.

Fevers are generally caused by infections. The solution is to address the cause of the fever, not to control pain or bring the fever down - these are considerations additional to the primary one.

So the answer is: no. Do not use human medications on dogs other than on instructions - CLEAR instructions - from your vet.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Maria | 2009-02-19

Thank you for your reply. However, my question was not on how to measure temperature in dogs (I know how to do this and do have a rectal thermometer I use for my pets).
My question is is it safe to use paediatric pain and fever medication on dogs, such as Ponstan?

Reply to Maria