Posted by: SCARED | 2012-07-16

Hi Doc, sorry, I know this shauld rather be posted on the gynea forum - but there is rarely an answer given.
I was called on friday by my gynea informing me that abnormalities have been found in my papsmear. He said I must go back in 6 months for another test.
My question is, I am currently on Depo-prevera. How will this influance the possibility of cervical cancer? which is the best contraceptive method for me at this stage? I am due to go see him again early december. And due for my Depo prevera in early september. Is it safe to take it again or shauld I rather go over to the pill, or rather leave it all until I find clarity on the abnormalities. I am 23 year old. One child - 2years and 10mnths old - via C section.
How serious are these abnormalities as he did not elaborate on what exactly was found?

I do not think that you have much to be concerned about. There must have been a few cells that appeared atypical. This is the reason for a repeat test on a later stage. Depo-provera will have no effect and you can continue with it. The best contraceptive to use, in order to prevent cervical cancer (cervical cancer is related to the HPV virus), is to use condoms.

Posted by: Lou | 2012-07-17

I had exactly the same thing happen. The abnormalities they found were minor, so they will wait for 6 months to see if they have grown, then if they have, they will do the laser procedure to remove the area of infected cells. Its very common, and you shouldn''t worry. It can a slight infection that causes the abnormal cells, but is so mild that you are not aware of it.
I''m not sure on the depo-prevera, but the injection is not good for you in terms of fertility, so maybe you should consider another form of contraceptive.

Reply to Lou
Posted by: shello | 2012-07-16

Hi, sometimes there are abnormailities, they wait for a perod of 6 months and if the abnormalities are still present they will do a DNC where they lazer the layer of the cervix if needed.

There is nothing to worry about at this stage and i am sure if it were very abnormal your doc wouldnt wait 6 months to see you.

Reply to shello