Question
Posted by: Meme | 2011-02-21

Paper on fluoxetine for SSRI withdrawal

Benazzi F (1998). " SSRI discontinuation syndrome treated with fluoxetine" . Int J Geriatr Pyschiatry 13 (6): 421– 2.

Thanks. As I understood it, it was believed that because fluoxetine is more slowly eliminated from the body, one could usefully switch someone from whatever other SSRI they were on ( more rapidly eliminated ) to Fluoxetine, and then stop the fluoxetine ( Prozac/ Nuzak, etc. ) more easily.
A discontinuation syndrome was not really noticed or talked about in the early days when fluoxetine was the only SSRI we had.

1