Question
Posted by: Skye | 2011-01-07

Pap Smear Results

Happy New Year! Hi, I recently went for a pap smear, the results said everything is within normal limits but they gave me antibiotics because they identified mixed bacteria (rods and cocci) with assiciated inflammatory changes. NO viral, fungal or protozoal pathogens present. My question is what causes the bacterial infection? What is Cocci? Is it an STI? Do I have something to worry about and will I be able to transfer it, and will it go away once I finished the antibiotics? Sorry I went to a government facility and they didn''t really answer my questions except for saying it''s " within normal limits" . Thank you in advance for your reply.

Some bacteria are carried in the vagina as normal co-existing organisms. Cocci are a type of bacteria. It does not sound like an STI and even if it were, the antibiotics should treat it and you would therefore not be infectious.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-01-11