Question
Posted by: Almost Relived | 2004/04/16

Q.

pap smear results

Dear Pathologist

I recently was relieved to recieve my pap smear results to find it is negative for any malignacny.
However it stated under "Organisms" - Doderlein Bacilli
under "Infalammation" - slight
and under "Gladnular Component" - endocervicall cells present.

Is there cause for alarm for any of these and should I take/do anything? Does this mean I could get endometriosis?

thank you
Almost Relived

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageArchive

Doderlein bacilli are part of the normal bacterial flora of the vagina. There is often inflammatory cells present depending on when the smear was taken in relation to menstruation. This does not necessarily imply an infection. Endocervical cells are normal and should be seen in a pap smear. In the abscence of endocervical cells the pap smear would be inadequate. So your smear was perfectly normal.

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: worried | 2014/09/26

Dear Sir? madam i received pap smear results today and its saying negative for intraepithelial lesion or malignancy component: Absent Pathogens: doderlein bacilli additional findings: Moderate inflammation reccomendation: repeat with endocervical component

Reply to worried

Want to comment?