Question
Posted by: Mimi | 2008/10/13

PAP SMEAR

Hi doc.....I have been sexually active for 4 years and an not on the pill (we use condoms) I have only been to the gynae once when i had ovarian cysts. Do i urgently need to go for a pap smear? How often does one need to go and what are the dangers on not having them done early? Thanks doc

You should have a pap smear if you have never had one. They detect abnormal cells in the cervix before they become cancerous. Every 1-2 years is a good idea if you have no symptoms.

1
Posted by: T | 2008/10/13

Yes, i would say go for a pap smear. One should go every two years for a pap smear when you are sexually active. It is the only thing that can pick pu cervical cancer.
Good luck!

Reply to T