Question
Posted by: Jane | 2008/07/17

pap smear

Hi Dr Bets.

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, everything removed apart from my ovaries. Last year I had one ovary removed.
What I would like to know pleased - do I still need to keep going for pap smears? I have been going every year since the hysterectomy but talking to a freind the other day she said, what are they actually testing as I dont have a uterus??
Your advice, as usual is much appreciated.

Jane

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It is important that you continue going for a papsmear. If two results are negative for any abnormal cells, you can have a papsmear done every five years. The reason for having the papsmears done, is that there reamains a possibility that there are cervical cells present after having a hysterectomy.

Kind regards