Question
Posted by: Sunny | 2009-04-03

PAP

Hi doc

I' m an African and pap (cooked with only maize meal and water) is our daily meal. I can not sustain a week without my pap and chicken feet.

How much of pap can I eat per serving.

Dear Sunny
Pap or maize meal porridge is a good source of energy, so it depends if you are trying to lose weight or not? Pap as such contains between 217 kJ (soft porridge) and 634 kJ (crumbly porridge) per 100g. If you eat 1 cup of the soft porridge which weighs about 250 g you will be getting 543 kJ which represents approx. 8,6% of your daily energy intake when you are slimming if you are a woman. If you eat 1 cup of the crumbly porridge which weighs 140 g and provides 888 kJ then you are ingesting 14% of your daily energy intake. So if depends on what type of porridge you like eating and also how much you eat as your serving. If you are trying to lose weight then stick to 1 cup of the soft porridge as this has a lower energy content because it contains more water than the crumbly porridge. Also keep in mind that chicken feet have a high energy and fat content esp if you cook them with oil or margarine.