Question
Posted by: Soetie | 2008/10/14

panick attacks while sleeping

Hi Doc, I read the daily tip on panick attacks, and was just wondering whether the attacks that I get while sleeping, are the same as those when awake. I have the same symptoms - like not being able to breathe, heart palpitations and just a general feeling of dying! I have been having this for years and have been assured that I won' t die of this! Is there any advice from your side, please!

If these episodes have the same symptoms, then they are likely to be the same phenomenon. Yes indeed, one doesn't die of them but it feels exactly as though one will. But why tolerate this for years ? See a good local psychiatrist for assessment and diagnosis, and discuss treatment options. Some medications and also CBT counselling cam bring this all under control, relatively soon