Question
Posted by: Desirè  | 2011/03/01

Panick attacks and stress?

Dear Doctor.
For almost a month now ive been feeling very bad, nausous,dizzy,heart beat racing, headaces, uncontrollable shaking. My doctor did some blood tests and said the results is clear, they just suggested he do further tests on my iron levels.Since saturday ive been taking Esperide, and this morning ive been feeling better for the first time. so my question: could me feeling this bad,have to do with my iron levels? or could it be stress and anxiety? and could stress and anxiety physical symptoms last over a long period?
Thanking you.

One usually doesn't need blood tests to diagnose panic disorder, which does respond well to ordinary proper treatment of this well known condition. I dhave not see such symptoms related to iron levels. I really strongly feel you should see a proper specialist psychiatrist for re-assessment and confirmation of this diagnosis, and a discussion of proper and effective treatment options for it, which may include CBT style counselling and medications also used to treat depression, rather than Espiride which is less specific and powerful, though it may in deed help you to feel better at this stage. YOu are surely describing stress and anxiety disorder ( which can indeed cause long-term symptoms ), and probably not anything to do with iron levels.
If one is not getting enough iron in the diet, you might become anaemic, which could have youi feeling a bit weak and faint, but hardly this full range of symptoms. And if the first simple blood tests did not show an iron-deficiency anaemia, then iron is not relevant here.

1