Question
Posted by: Panicky | 2012/09/18

Panick attacks

hi dr,
i need serious help. I suffer from very bad panic attacks. It happens on a daily basis and sometimes even more than once a day. I am temporarily abroad so i don''t have friends/family to chat to. When i chat to my fiance about it, he tells me to get over it, and that its all in the mind. The other day we landed up in a fight because he said he could not deal with it anymore and that i need to fix myself up and that he feels alone because it is always about me.. Hes been going out without me . He does not invite me to any work events and i fell like it is maybe because hes embarrassed of me. Im still able to go to work so I am not completely crippled but it is getting of hand. I feel completely alone and i don''t know how to cope with this issue.I have to force myself to take public transport (I was used to having my own car back home)and just get through the day and try ignore the panic. sometimes i wish i was in South Africa because i know i would have the support there. Today i saw photos on a social networking sight of just my fiance and 5 woman from a work outing. It saddens me because i think he misses the fun and outgoing me that i once was and now he sees it in other females. They all look outgoing and look like they having a ball of a time. I cant even bring myself to want to go out. He has said in the past that he misses the fun me that was not anxious all the time. I need help dr, how can I sort this out. I also stopped smoking 5 months ago and i feel like maybe if i start it will calm the panic.. i just don''t know what to do anymore.

It really does annoy me when idiotic people say that a very unpleasant problem like Pabnic Disorder " is all in the head". WHere else should it be ? That's like saying that appendicitis is "all in the appendix".
The important thing is that you need to get assessed by a suitable psychiatrist and properly treated to recover from this unpleasant and very genuine condition.
You need much more than just "support" - proper medication, and CBT-style counselling can clear this up properly.
If your fiancee is so little prepared to be sympathetic and try to understand the medical condition you have, he doesn't deserve to be a fiancee - you deserve much better than him, and more understanding than he seems able to give.
Smoking isn't good for you, and wont relieve your panic disorder. Proper meds ( like drugs also used to treat depression )are needed and effecive.
You don't mention where "abroad" you are, but arrange to see a psychiatrist for assessment and a discussion of treatment options, and you should soon be able to feel much better.

2
Posted by: J | 2012/09/19

In addition to meds(AD''s) from a professional i take vita force nutri B. Helped me hugely. Good luck

Reply to J