Question
Posted by: Shan | 2008/07/14

Panic Attacks starting again

Hi Doc,

I have Bipolar and every now and then I keep on having bad panic attacks. I wake up at night not being able to breath. I am very stressed financially. What can I do to prevent this or to calm down. I have been going to the Psychologist and his suggestions do not help. Please help

If the psychologist's suggestions are not helping, you should probably be seeing a different shrink, and a psychiatrist who can assess possible physical as well as pychological aspects of your symptoms. Waking up at night with difficulty breathing can have a range of sinificant physical causes, as well as panic attacks, which are themselves not usually a part of Bipolar Disorder. There's also need to ba an assessment of whatever medication you may be taking, and hether this is the right choice in relation to the basic diagnosis and these fresh features. And other than Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, I wouldn't recommend other psychological treatments in any form of Depression or anxiety disorder.