Question
Posted by: Topsy to Jade and CS | 2008/09/29

Panic Attacks Reply and Thanks

Hi Jade

I can full relate to the story of your hubby, I am sorry he suffered for so long.

CS -
1)I am struggling (still) to accept that is panic attacks. What are all the physical checks they would/should be before diagnosing panic attacks?
2)If you vitals go haywire, i.e. BP screaming high and its a panic attack can you still suffer a stroke or heart attack?
3)What is the name of the drug that has historically been most successful in helping/treating panic attacks?
4)Yes, I did do CBT for my dysfunctional child-hood, but I react to any stress the same. Its like I get a fight or flight feeling when confronted with real danger or if I just get angry say a minor argument with my mom. Is this panic attack?
5)Yes, the fear of a panic attack starts to cause them, the fear feeds on the fear, can one really overcome this?
6)Are there other rememdies that have proven to help i.e. Acupuncture?
& )I am nervous to get the Cymbalta I feel it may not be the right med.
9)Is a panic attack purely psychological or is it recognised as a physical and medical condition?

TT

Remember --- Panic Attacks almost always FEEL like physical attacks. But any physical cause of attacks that severe would have killed you long, long ago. So they are diagnosed in their own right, by their typical pattern of symptoms, and NOT by excloding every possible physical cause of each separate symptom.
You don't suffer a stroke of heart attack during a panic attack--- but it feels like it. Remember, part of what is happening is that your system is being flooded with the chemicals that induce fear as well as the symptomns that alarm you.
There are numerous drugs, as well as CBT counselling, that can help panic attacks --- discuss with your shrink what your alternatives are.
4. These are probably not, strictly, panic attacks, but related ways of handling stress dysfunctionally.
5. Yes, one can overcome this, definitely so. The fear causes fear, and as you try to avoid situations in which the attacks may occur, you constrict your like.
6. Not a shred of evidence that acupuncture helps at all.
7. We can't know whether its the right bed for you until you try it, and persist on it for a few weeks. While it's still just ink on a prescription form, it can't help at all.
All panic attacks are psychologic, with MAJOR physical symptoms, which, fortunately, are not as dangerous or harmful as they feel.